Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bicycles again

You will remember that I bought a propane stove in July, and carried it home on the bicycle. Well, the piezo-electric starter on the darn thing failed on the second one pound tank during the first weekend of use. I took it to the local service people, only to find that they didn't believe it was malfunctioning. I told them to check it again, and they called three weeks later to say it was ready. I checked it before taking it home, and it STILL wasn't fixed. So they tried again; this time, after a couple of weeks, they called to say that it was ready, and had been replaced, since it couldn't be fixed.

I went last weekend to pick up the new stove, but the repair folks were closed for Thanksgiving.

Today I finally got the new stove. And I brought home by bicycle, with what will probably be one of the last rides of the season. I didn't bother taking photos of the bicycle this time, since it looked the same as when I first bought it in July. Of course, here are yellow and brown leaves around the yard now.

It's autumn now, and soon it will be winter. We won't be using the stove before next summer, but at least it's finally repaired.

2 comments:

Dawn Allenbach said...

Hopefully your stove STAYS fixed.

And you never know when there'll be cause to use it. My folks in Kansas have used theirs many a time when ice or gobs of snow have left them without power.

Neil said...

Thanks, Dawn. We're in a location where the electricity supply tends to be a bit iffy sometimes, even without storms taken into account.

I doubt we'd use the stove indoors because of carbon monoxide issues, and it's too cold outside to use it in winter. And I believe the propane won't flow at temperatures much below freezing (our winters get below -45 degrees F).

But the stove's in the basement, and if we're desperate and VERY careful, we might use it if pressed to do so.

I'll have to post photos of our sidewalks in winter; even before getting to know Beth, I wondered how people using wheelchairs were supposed to navigate without help.

Neil