Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembrance Day

I love books. I’m also a wannabe calligrapher. Recently, I ordered the book “Foundations of Calligraphy” by Sheila Waters (from John Neal Bookseller). That book arrived on November 10, and I opened it at random, only to be instantly reminded of my dear online friend, Beth. Beth is a bibliophile, and is selling off her collection to pay for medical expenses. To lose one’s beloved books hurts; I know it does.

So what reminded me of her? - nay, brought me to tears, is more like it. It was a quote from John Conrad, beautifully lettered by the author, Ms. Waters: “Of all the inanimate objects, of all men’s creations, books are the nearest to us, for they contain our very thoughts, our ambitions, our indignations, our illusions, our fidelity to truth, and our persistent leaning towards error. But most of all they resemble us in their precarious hold on life.”

I just don’t know what to say after that.

Maybe I do. It’s the end of Remembrance Day as I type; a day to remember all the people, usually young, who have died for our freedom. Or because of the stupidity of military leaders. So I’ll close for today, and I’ll think for a few minutes now about how the last army to conquer Afghanistan was commanded by Alexander the Great. For over two thousand years since, nobody has been able to defeat the Afghans. I don't see anyone succeeding in the foreseeable future, either.

3 comments:

Gaina said...

If more people had access to books, they would learn more words and probably 'talk' less with their fists...bombs..guns...knives...

You get my drift :).

Dawn Allenbach said...

I agree with Gaina.

I too cry when I think f Beth selling her books. Do you know her seller name on ebay so I can go purchase something? Does she use ebay Canada or US?

Neil said...

Sorry ladies, I forgot to come back and check comments!

Gaina: yes, more literacy in the world would be nice, instead of everyone glued to computer screens. Of course, that would make blogging awkward...

Dawn: I think Beth uses ebay.ca, and I THINK she calls herself l&bstuff, but I can't find anything by that name right now.

However, the books - the valuable ones at least - were going to an antiquarian book show in Victoria.

Books are treasured friends, and it's hard to watch them leave for the last time. It's hard watching Beth leave us, too.

How are you doing, though, Dawn? I hope the research is back on track.

hugs,
Neil