Friday, July 4, 2008

Music!

I went to a practice tonight for the benefit I'm going to play at this month. I discovered that my mandolin calluses are gone, my shoulder hurts if I play the bones, and I still love making music.

Penny whistles still work for me, though, and even though I'm going to have to relearn a bunch of tunes, it'll be worth it.

However, I'll miss the fiddler I played with ten years ago. Barbara Powell was a wonderful player, and I felt almost telepathic when we played together. But she died about five years ago of breast cancer. That was when some of the musical magic died. I'll always treasure the memories of playing with you, Barb.

It's late, and I'm too tired to make sense. I'll try to post something meaningful next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'll try to post something meaningful next time."

I must chastise you. Your tribute to your friend was very meaningful.

I am glad you still love making music. Rebuild those calluses, relearn the tunes and have fun!

Neil said...

Ah, thank you, Cheryl. You're right, of course. I was tired, and feeling a bit nostalgic, and somewhat maudlin at the time.

As for the calluses, the mandolin needs a bit of repair work before it's playable. "All" it needs is a new nut, and probably new frets, but I can't afford the dollars that'll take.

Part of my musical problem is that there are too many instruments. I usually had the following onstage: penny whistles in several keys, flute, recorder, bodhran, spoons, mandolin, sometimes a mountain dulcimer or guitar, and occasionally a didjeridoo, plus various percussive stuff, including a railway clip and spike that I found lying loose beside a crossing. We didn't call the duo Celtic Clutter for nothing!