Monday, June 9, 2008

So much for good intentions

Good intentions are wonderful, and I had intended to blog daily. But life tends to get in the way. I guess im not as dedicated as some bloggers.

On Saturday, I played plumber, and spent far too long and a great deal of energy replacing the kitchen taps. Damned lime built up and corroded the nuts into place under the counter. Oh, you’d have to see a lab analysis of our water to truly understand it, but it can be full-bodied, and foul. Not poisonous. Quite. Just foul tasting and smelling.

On Saturday evening, Eldest Son stopped by on his way home from work to help tidy the fridge, as teens tend to do, and then stayed to talk. One of his friends called him to say the party she was at wasn’t happening, so she came over and we all chatted until after 1 am.

Yesterday, I paid for Saturday’s late night with a reminder of my own little “disability”: I woke up with a migraine headache. So I went back to bed, and my beloved was kind enough to let me sleep in. I woke up at 3 pm with the headache mostly gone. But the time I was going to spend blogging was spent in other pursuits, and now its Monday evening already.

One of the more exciting things that happened on the weekend was that Middle Son fell asleep on the couch instead of applying himself to long-overdue homework. My beloved was unable to wake him, so she painted the nails on one of his feet. Since he had Gym today in school, he spent rather a long time scraping and sanding gold nail lacquer off his toes.

Today, it rained. Oh, the farmers will love it, but I can already hear the mosquito larvae cheering as they prepare to leap forth into the world.

And another day passes. No great revelations. But I got to bicycle home from work under clouds and in wet streets.

4 comments:

Elizabeth McClung said...

The description of your beloved painting your son's nails I enjoyed, at first I thought it was his sister, but to find out it was a full grown and "mature" adult, parental in fact, was even more funny. Poor son, can't fall asleep without his parents playing junior high pranks on his.

Neil said...

Okay, it MIGHT have been a bit immature, but the little sh - er, darling, was supposed to be studying, not sleeping.

Let's just say we have gotten more than a little frustrated with his study habits. He frequently chose not to wake up in time for his first class (Englsih, I'm afraid), forgot his assignments, and didn't hand homework in on the rare occasions he DID finish it. It didn't help that his English teacher was both uninspired and uninspiring.

And are you calling my Beloved Wife immature? She's at least as mature as I am. Besides, painting his toe nails was MY idea! She just agreed with the plan and carried it out.

Linda McClung said...

Neil, I don't know how people can write a blog everyday. I take that back, I do know how, and they pay a great price. I had a hard enough time just writing on weekends for two weeks!

We had well water where I grew up - very heavy on the iron - my blonde hair always had a red tinge to it. Has Regina water gotten better over the years? When I was a kid my family would go to Regina once a year for a week. We'd all get intestinal troubles guaranteed until the time we brought our own water. No problems that year!

Uggh! Mosquitos - I so do not miss those. One of the many reasons why I love Victoria - I only get a few bites a year. Compared to Manitoba or Saskatchewan where I could get dozens a day, this is paradise!
How bad are the mosquitos this year?

Neil said...

The mosquitos are doing just fine, thank you. There's one little bugger buzzing about my head even now.

And now I know what post card you two are getting next...

Where did you grow up, Linda? Just curious; really!